Friday, November 20, 2015

Michael Ray Takes Tulsa

Michael Ray is an extremely talented country singer who took country radio by storm with his number 1 hit "Kiss You in the Morning". His self titled debut album came out on August 7th of this year. Before the album release, I was already intrigued by his voice and couldn't wait to hear more from him. 


As I've mentioned before, I am legally blind. Since I will eventually go blind I made a list of artist I want to see live before that happens. After hearing "Kiss You in the Morning" the first time, I had added Michael Ray to that list. I kept an eye on his tour schedule for when he'd be coming to Oklahoma. Well Michael Ray came to Tulsa on Nov. 18th and he sure did it right!


It wasn't just one show, but THREE all with our awesome local radio stations. He had an Eat & Greet via 98.5 KVOO, a mini Ladies Lock-In via 106.1 The Twister and was the featured artist for K95.5's Girls Night Out show. I won invites to KVOO's Eat & Greet and took concert buddy Amanda. The Eat and Greet took place at the historic Cain's Ballroom. The eat portion of this awesome acoustic show was from Oklahoma Joe's. 


When Michael, his guitar player Austin, and his drummer Andrew arrived Michael went up to every one of us shaking hands and introducing himself. The entire set up was pretty cool. On the floor of Cain's there was two long tables set up for us and the tables were connected by a row of chairs were Michael and his band mates set.

Austin, Michael, and Andrew

It was Michael's first time in Tulsa. So he had never been to Cain's Ballroom before and he really loved it. It's very hard to put into words how amazing it is to hang out, eat (that barbecue was delicious), talk with, and listen to one of your favorite solo artists sing. I love acoustic shows because you can really hear the artist. I know that statement is making you think wait what. Just listen to the video of "Everything In Between" below:


That is Michael's voice with absolutely no sound equipment. Well Austin and Andrew are playing to, but you understand. It was really amazing. All three guys were down to earth and such gentleman. After the eating, chatting, and singing we all lined up and got photos and autographs. I got to tell him about my list too. 


 Our friend Shannon attended the acoustic show for 106.1 The Twister and then all three of us came together for Girls Night Out with K95.5. That is were an already great day turned into a memorable night not soon forgotten. I have this saying: Great time, Great people, Great music. Generic maybe, but 100% true. Before the show we got to chat with my favorite K95.5 dj Shane Houston. (I'm aware I'm pretty short)

Shane Houston and me

During this show you got a great feel for not only how talented Michael is, but Austin and Andrew as well. Among the songs performed were his singles "Kiss You in the Morning" and "Real Men Love Jesus". He also played several from his album including "Look This Way", "This Love", "Drivin' All Night", "Everything In Between" (one of my favorites!), and "Somewhere South" for my friend Shannon. Perhaps the coolest part of the show though was getting "Another Girl" dedicated to me when he started to play it. 

KVOO Eat & Greet photos

 Before the show I requested it. Well Shannon did, but she started with "She wants to know". He said they would try. It's my favorite song from the album.  Because when I go to concerts I get to be me and not the "poor blind girl". The lyrics talk about how a girl turns into another girl when she goes to a concert. After the show Michael signed autographs and took photos again. 

Amanda, Me, Michael Ray, & Shannon

Michael is currently on tour with Kip Moore and will soon after hit the road with Brantley Gilbert and Canaan Smith. If either tour is coming to a city near you I recommend catching that show. You won't want to miss it. Michael Ray has the makings to be around a long while in country music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment