Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Parmalee ~ Tulsa State Fair

     The Tulsa State Fair has live music acts every day its open. The shows are free with entry to the fair or you can purchase a VIP ticket which puts you directly in front of the stage. This is exactly what I did when I discovered my favorite band Parmalee was coming back to Oklahoma. 


     This was the 3rd time I saw this family band live and my first outdoor concert. In case your not familiar with these guys I'll give you a brief background before the concert rundown.They are North Carolina natives. Matt Thomas is the lead singer, his brother Scott is on drums and sometimes bass, their cousin Barry Knox plays bass and sometimes drums, their brother from another mother Josh McSwain is on the guitar and keys. They have a great album out called Feels Like Carolina. On it you can hear their singles "Musta Had a Good Time", "Carolina", "Close Your Eyes", and their newest "Already Callin You Mine" as well.


     I purchased meet and greets for the show and with the passes I discovered two spare VIP tickets. So I went out to the back of the venue and gave them to an elderly couple so they could move closer to the stage. The couple looked soo happy! Parmalee had a female act, Alaska and Madi, opening up for them. I was excited to hear them given how much I enjoyed their opening act, Backroad Anthem, the last time I saw them. The meet and greets were scheduled for right after they took the stage though :/ However what I heard of their song Tattoo I was pretty impressed! It was so fun getting to meet the guys again and their manager Mike! Josh shook my hand while saying "Hi I'm Josh and I absolutely love that shirt!" I was nervous we lost our front row seats to go meet them, but the security guard saved them for us!


     Once the guys took the stage it was impossible to stay seated. They started with one of my favorite songs from the album "I'll Bring the Music" so yea I could not stay seated. Then came their chart climbing newest single "Already Callin You Mine". Getting a smile from one of the band because they see you singing along word for word is such a great feeling! They sang all their singles. Plus "My Montgomery", "Back in the Day", "Day Drinkin", "Move", and "Dance" (all of which you can hear on their album). One of the coolest parts of their live shows is when they talk about how/where they grew up and then sing some of the music they grew up on. As they put it, its the music you could hear drifting through the back window of their dad'a truck. I also managed to record their parody of "Wreckingball" which they titled "Fireball". It was such a fantastic show. 


When watching these guys live you can just feel how much they love what their doing and that makes what you take home from these shows even better! I included a few links throughout to their website, their album, and a few YouTube videos! Enjoy and definitely check these guys out if you ever get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment